Booking Terms & Conditions
- Prices effective 1 January 2017.
- The price quoted on trekker’s Booking Confirmation letter is held firm for 14 days from the date of the letter. A booking made after this time is subject to any price charges.
- In the case of a price rise for the event, airline, accommodation, government fees, personal porters or other services, we will attempt to inform trekkers by letter or email, but prices are subject to change without notice. Any price rise will only affect trekkers who have not already paid for their event and airline tickets in full.
- All price rises are passed on, until payment has been received in full.
- Your trek reservation is confirmed on receipt of a non-refundable deposit of $500 per person per trek. Your deposit must be received within 14 days of booking or the reservation will automatically be cancelled. Deposit is non-refundable.
- The balance of payment is due 8 weeks prior to trek departure.
- The trekker is deemed to have read, understood and agreed to these Booking Terms, by paying the deposit.Payment in full is required at time of booking for any reservations made less than 2 months prior to departure from Australia.
- Our price is a package price. If you wish to vary the package price then you are liable for any accommodation, flight, travel, food or other variations not agreed in writing with Kokoda Spirit. The trekker acknowledges that they are aware of the inclusions and exclusions specified in the Kokoda Spirit documentation for the package selected.
- Before paying the deposit you:
(a) acknowledge the hardships, difficulties and potential dangers of trekking across the Kokoda Track and you accept those conditions;
(b) agree to undertake a full medical check up prior to undergoing any exercise or training program in preparation for trekking the Kokoda Track;
(c) agrees to commit to and implement a suitable training and fitness program specific to requirements necessary for trekking the Kokoda Track. The trekker will take all reasonable avenues to obtain specific training advice regarding the fitness requirements to successfully complete trek across the Kokoda Track in PNG;
(d) agree to ensure all pre-trek paper work including Doctor’s Clearance Letter, Assumption of Risk, Trekker Information and Travel Insurance is returned to Kokoda Spirit within the time frame requested by Kokoda Spirit in the pre-trek documentation requests sent to you;
(e) understand and acknowledge the difference in inclusions, services, expectations and price between PNG National led treks and Australian guided treks. This understanding includes but is not limited to the difference in historical briefings, commemorative services, communication and track briefings. You understand that the trek you have booked (including date, direction, PNG National Led or Australian Led) is nominated on your Booking Confirmation Letter.
PRICE INCLUSIONS & EXCLUSIONS
- The trek price does not cover costs and expenses (including the return to your home) if you leave the event of your own volition, or due to illness/accident, or as a consequence of action by the government of PNG.
- Kokoda Spirit will provide each trekker with a list of “what’s included” and “what’s not included” (inclusions and exclusions). It is the sole responsibility of the trekker to provide the items on the “what’s not included” list.
- It is the trekker’s responsibility to pay for telephone calls, extra night’s accommodation, extra meals and personal items whilst in PNG.
- Our price is a package price, which includes pre and post event accommodation only. Accommodation is based on a twin share. Accommodation may be upgraded to a single room, subject to availability, in which case a single price room will be charged to the trekker.
- If due to illness, finishing the Kokoda Trail earlier, or for any other reason you change your pre-booked accommodation dates whilst in PNG, you will be responsible for paying for the extra night (s).
- Hotel management require that accommodation, other than the dates given to the Hotel by Kokoda Spirit, are to be paid for by the participant at the time of check-in. Kokoda Spirit provides accommodation the night before the event starts and the night the event finishes (only).
- Any extra nights are the responsibility of the trekker, and the trekker must pay the Hotel upon check-in.
- Hotel accommodation can be upgraded, but this must be organised by the trekker. Kokoda Spirit provides a package price, which includes the 2 night’s accommodation in total, being one nights’ accommodation pre-trek and one nights’ accommodation post-trek based on twin share.
- Upon requesting trekkers’ accommodation, if the hotel is full, Kokoda Spirit will organise to the best of its ability for alternative accommodation arrangements. Trekkers will be notified of hotel changes.
- Accommodation along the Kokoda Track can vary from campsite to campsite. There is no guarantee that guesthouse accommodation or grassed campsites will be available. Overnight accommodation is on a non-booking system and a first come first served basis. Campsites are allocated and controlled by the landowners along the Kokoda Track, not by Kokoda Spirit. Kokoda Spirit will make available to our clients the best accommodation available at the time.
FITNESS & DOCTOR’S CLEARANCE
- Trekkers must have a high level of physical fitness and mobility and should be able to negotiate uneven surfaces, river crossings, and climb stairs.
- All treks involve high levels of physical activity every day.
- Kokoda Spirit will provide each participant with a letter to take to their Doctor to sign and return to the Kokoda Spirit office.
- It is the trekker’s responsibility to consult their doctor for a Doctor’s clearance letter and vaccination requirements.
- Trekkers must provide the Doctor’s clearance letter no later than 4 weeks before departure date. If the Doctor’s clearance letter is not provided to Kokoda Spirit 4 weeks before the departure date, Kokoda Spirit reserves the right to refuse a trekker participation in the event.
- Kokoda Spirit reserves the right to refuse participation to or to retire any trekker who is deemed to be unfit or unprepared to complete the journey.
- By paying the deposit, you acknowledge that you:
(a) understand the hardships, difficulties and potential dangers of trekking across the Kokoda Track and accept those conditions;
(b) agree to undertake a full medical check up prior to undergoing any exercise or training program in preparation for trekking the Kokoda Track in PNG;
(c) will commit to and implement a suitable training and fitness program specific to requirements necessary for the trekking the Kokoda Track in PNG. Trekkers must take all reasonable avenues to obtain specific training advice regarding the fitness requirements to successfully complete the trek across the Kokoda Track in PNG; and
(d) will ensure all pre-trek paper work including Doctor’s Clearance Letter, Assumption of Risk, Trekker Information and Travel Insurance is returned to Kokoda Spirit within the time frame requested by Kokoda Spirit in the pre-trek documentation requests sent to you.
- An adult must accompany children under the age of 18. Adult supervision is required at all times.
- Adults accompanying a child will be responsible for any behaviour deemed not acceptable by Kokoda Spirit staff.
- If a child requires a Medical/Emergency Evacuation an adult must accompany the child and stay with them at all times.
- In the event of early departure from the trek (i.e. less than the days specified) with a child, an adult must accompany the child and stay with them at all times.
- Kokoda Spirit accepts no responsibility for any damage or loss suffered by trekkers whilst on the Kokoda Trail, whilst at the hotel accommodation, or in the course of transfer, transportation etc.
- Any trekker who has caused damage will be required to pay for damage in full.
RETIRING FROM THE EVENT / EARLY DEPARTURE
- Retiring from the trek or early departure from the trek, including evacuation (i.e. less days than the event dates specified on participants Booking Confirmation letter) will incur additional cost of extra staff to return the participant back to Port Moresby safely, transportation, administration costs (including satellite phone calls, international and mobile phone calls) and all other expenses incurred in returning you back to Port Moresby.
- Trekkers are not entitled to any refund on early departure from their nominated trekking dates for any reason.
- Early departure from the trek will automatically forfeit post-trek accommodation. The trekker is responsible for organising accommodation and must pay the hotel directly for their stay. The trekker will be personally responsible for these extra costs.
- If you require or request helicopter evacuation you will be liable for all costs associated with the procedure. Kokoda Spirit will invoice you for these extra costs. It is your responsibility to organise any payment claims through your travel insurance company.
- If a trekker leaves the Track for any reason they are not able to rejoin the trek at a later date.
All trekkers need to have a current passport. Your passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months after your return date from PNG.
PNG VISA NOTICE
A Visa can be obtained on arrival into PNG. You can however apply for a Visa prior to travelling to PNG.
Information for Australians obtaining a visa for PNG from the consulate:
- A visa application for PNG takes 5-7 days to be processed (process starts once documents are received) providing all paperwork is complete
- PNG Consulates are located in Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra. A new Consulate office will open in Cairns in the near future.
- The application form and requirements remain the same o 1 x passport photo
- Copy of travel itinerary
- Completed application form
▪ http://www.pngcanberra.org/visas/ (website)
▪ http://www.pngcanberra.org/pdf/application.PDF (form)
- Cost for a visa will remain the same
- $0 – Tourist Visa (no application fee)
- $215 – single entry business visa
- $435 – Multiple Entry Business visa (12 months period commences on first arrival)
Consulate-General of Papua New Guinea
Level 3, 344 Queens Street
GPO Box 220
Tel: (07) 3221 7915
Fax: (07) 3229 6084
Email:firstname.lastname@example.org (Note: New Office Location – Level 3, 344 Queens Street)
Consulate-General of Papua New Guinea
Level 2, Clarence Street Sydney NSW 2000
PO Box A2273
Sydney South, NSW 1235
Tel: (02) 9283 9020 Fax: (02) 9283 5424
Consulate-General of Papua New Guinea
Ph: 612 62 733 322
Fax: 612 62 733 732
If you do not hold an Australian Passport, please contact the Papua New Guinea Consulate for their advice.
HELICOPTER AIR LIFT OUT
- In the event of an emergency whilst on the Kokoda Track, Kokoda Spirit staff will assess the situation and act accordingly.
- If Kokoda Spirit considers helicopter evacuation is required for a participant, Kokoda Spirit will put emergency procedures in place. Your nominated next of kin may be contacted by either Kokoda Spirit or your travel insurance company.
- The trekker understands and acknowledges that when requesting an emergency evacuation with the trekker’s travel insurance company, Kokoda Spirit are required to provide the travel insurance company with the trekker’s private details.
- All costs relating to a “Medical/Emergency Evacuation” will be charged to the trekker (including and not limited to administration costs, phone calls, staff wages assisting in the evacuation etc).
- If a child requires a Medical/Emergency Evacuation an adult must accompany the child and stay with them at all times.
- Accommodation required due to an evacuation is the responsibility of the trekker, and must be paid directly to the hotel.
- Kokoda Spirit will provide each trekker with a Trekking Gear List as a recommendation of what to take while trekking. This trekking gear list is only a recommendation.
- The trekker is liable to pay for any excess baggage on any international or internal slight in PNG or Australia.
- Kokoda Spirit hires gear to their trekkers for the purpose of the Kokoda Track only.
- Any loss or damage to such equipment will be at the trekker’s expense.
- Any Kokoda Spirit equipment not returned at the end of the trek will be charged to the trekker at new replacement cost.
TRAVEL & HEALTH INSURANCE
- It is mandatory for each trekker to have effected a suitable personal travel insurance policy prior to your departure from Australia. A participant will not be allowed to commence the event without adequate travel insurance.
- The policy must cover the unforeseen cancellation of your trip, the loss of personal items, the cost of emergency evacuation by air from any point along the Kokoda Trail to Port Moresby or Australia if necessary, and medical/hospital treatment within PNG and/or Australia.
- Kokoda Spirit requires all details of your travel insurance no later than one month before departure. Details will include your full name, policy number, dates of travel, destinations, the travel insurance company’s 24-hour emergency phone number, etc.
- All baggage and personal effects are at all times and in all circumstances at the risk of the trekker. Baggage insurance is strongly recommended.
- Kokoda Spirit is not responsible for the loss or late arrival of any baggage.
- Trekkers acknowledge that their trekking equipment, personal items, medical and other gear is essential for their trek across the Kokoda Track, and should pack in their cabin luggage any essential items such as boots, medications etc essential to them (subject to aircraft rules and laws).
- Trekkers acknowledge that they are responsible for any additional costs associated with joining the event at a later date due to their late arrival to the trek or late arrival of baggage.
- We highly recommend you immediately take out personal travel insurance upon booking and paying for your trek.
- Application for any refunds due to any unforeseen circumstances must be made in writing.
- Any claim will be limited to the cost of the service. Kokoda Spirit does not accept liability for any additional costs for airline or transportation delays.
- In the event of any legal action against Kokoda Spirit the client agrees that such action will be determined under the terms of the laws of Queensland, Australia.
- PNG has been referred to as “the land of the unexpected’. It is a developing nation and we cannot accept responsibility for accident, loss, injury, disappointment, and delay or irregularity in flight, accommodation, transportation and other services provided on your trip.
- Trek Masters and Australian guides nominated for treks can vary due to changing schedules, sickness, injury or other unforeseen circumstances. Kokoda Spirit will allocate the best available PNG Trek Master or Australian guide, but cannot give any assurance that any particular guide will be on any trek.
- If for any reason, including injury to the Australian guide in the course of a trek, Kokoda Spirit is unable to provide an Australian guide for a booked Australian Led trek, or the Australian guide is unable to complete the trek, Kokoda Spirit may refund to trekkers on such trek the difference between the price of an Australian Led trek and a local PNG led trek in appropriate circumstances, but shall not otherwise be liable to trekkers affected by any change.
TREK ITINERARY VARIATIONS
1. Kokoda Spirit reserves the right to vary the trek itinerary/schedule in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
CANCELLATIONS, REFUNDS, NOTICES & CHARGES
- Cancellation of confirmed bookings must be in writing.
- The following cancellation fees will be applied (per person) for cancelled treks paid in full or part:
(a) Cancellations more than 60 days prior to trek – $500 cancellation fee and full loss of deposit
(b) Cancellations between 31 & 60 days prior to trek – 50% of the event price, full loss of deposit
(c) Cancellations less than 30 days prior to trek – 100% of the total event/package price
- Deposit is non refundable.
- Deposit (full or part payments) cannot be transferred from one person to another person.
- Transfer trek date (Kokoda Spirit may agree to a transfer, depending upon availability). If agreed, any replacement trek must be within the same trekking season (i.e. the trek cannot be transferred to the following year) and a transfer fee of $300 per person will apply. If a trek cannot be taken by the trekker within the same trekking season the above cancellation notices apply (trekking season is March to November in a calendar year),
- Kokoda Spirit strongly recommends that your travel insurance policy include cover for cancellation charges in the event of cancellation due to illness or any other circumstances. There may be a delay in processing any refund due, as we await advice of cancellation charges by airlines, hotels and ground operators.
PRICE / TREK VARIATIONS
- Trek prices are subject to change at any time due to currency fluctuations, or Australia/PNG airport tax departure variations and other charges
- Trekkers are responsible for any price rises due to charter plane cost increases, accommodation increases or costs in porters or other related costs until your trek and airline tickets are paid for in full.
- Trekkers will be notified of event price changes in writing.
- A minimum of:
6 trekkers is required for a local PNG Led trek to proceed; 12 trekkers is required for an Australian Led trek to proceed unless agreement for a lesser number has been negotiated with Kokoda Spirit, in writing.
- For a local PNG led trek the maximum number of trekkers per group is 16 (this excludes Anzac Treks and excludes personal porters and Kokoda Spirit staff).
- For an Australian led trek the maximum number of trekkers per group is 20 (this excludes Anzac Treks and excludes personal porters and Kokoda Spirit staff).
- The maximum number of trekkers may vary with private groups, and is negotiable with Kokoda Spirit.
- Maximum numbers may change for our Anzac Treks. This will be a management decision.
- Kokoda Spirit reserves the right to have more than one trek leaving at the same time, on the same date and going in the same direction, on the same itinerary.
- If you wish to engage a personal porter, Kokoda Spirit must be informed no later than 6 weeks prior to your trek starting date.
- Payment for a personal porter must be received by the Kokoda Spirit office no later than 6 weeks prior to departure date.
- Australian or local PNG led treks
- A personal porter is an extra cost on top of Kokoda Spirit trek price. The cost of a personal porter is $720 AUD, non-negotiable.
- If a trekker requires a personal porter once the trekker has arrived in PNG or at any stage throughout the trek, the trekker will be charged an extra 25% on top of the $720 quoted price, (i.e. $900.00) to be paid within 7 days of finishing your trek.
- A personal porter is an extra cost, on top of Kokoda Spirit trek price.
- The cost of a personal porter is $750, non-negotiable.
- If a trekker requires a personal porter once the trekker has arrived in PNG, or at any stage throughout the trek, the trekker will be charged an extra 25% on top of the $750 quoted price (i.e. $937.50), to be paid within 7 days of finishing your trek.
Policy Current As at 1st Of July 2017
Kokoda Spirit 15 Sandleigh Crescent, Sippy Downs, 4556 Queensland, Australia.
If a product listed is not available at the time of purchase, a similar product of equal value and quality will be supplied.