Kokoda Spirit was built from the ground up in 2004.
We started with a passion for adventure and for Australia’s rich military history.
In 2004 we made our first trek across the Kokoda Trail and we were captivated by the spectacular beauty of the Kokoda Trail, the extraordinary history, ferocious fighting and diabolical conditions that the men of Kokoda had to endure.
We fell in love with the people and communities along the Kokoda Trail and the stories of the mighty Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels who played such a crucial role in the ultimate success of the Kokoda Campaign.
Kokoda Spirit was founded with some of the following key values.
1) Telling the Kokoda Trail story accurately, authentically with passion, purpose and significance from the Australian, Papua New Guinean and Japanese perspective. Read about our experiences and discoveries on Kokoda here …
2) Creating safe and viable opportunities and support for all of our Kokoda Spirit Porters and Guides and the Communities along the Kokoda Track.
3) Professional planning and facilitation of our world class Kokoda Trail tours with a focus on pre–Kokoda Trail trek preparation and safety for our Kokoda Spirit trekkers and our Kokoda Trail tour staff.
It is humbling and rewarding to see the Aussie spirit still alive and well today. From the beginning Kokoda Spirit has had strong foundations in assisting charities and organisations that give back to others. Some of these charities include…Click Here
In the interests of ensuring the long-term protection and viability of the Kokoda Track we are a foundation member of the Kokoda Tour Operators Association.
Some of our key initiatives include ensuring the Kokoda Trail porters and local Kokoda Track employees are given fair working conditions and wages, and that we address the environmental needs of the brilliant jungles and protect the heritage of the Kokoda Trail.
Some of Kokoda Spirits highlights over the years include the following:
- Organising and led a Kokoda Trail tour for Australian Paralympian Legend Kurt Fearnley as he successfully crawled across the Kokoda Track.
- We have organised and led Kokoda Trail tours enabling Paralympian and Adventurer Michael Milton and Paralympian, Author and Motivational Speaker Don Elgin to trek Kokoda.
- We have led Kokoda packages and Kokoda Trail tours and trekked with Rugby League Legend, Paul “The Chief” Harragon, NRL Premiership winning players Mark Hughes, Billy Peden, Australian Rugby League representative players David Fairleigh, Kurt Gidley, Matt Gidley, Danny Buderus, Matty Johns, Russell Richardson, Steve Menzies and Brad Godden, Cams Cause and the Mark Hughes Foundation.
- We have led Kokoda treks with Manu Feidel from MKR, Kate Peck model and MTV presenter, Miss Universe Australia Laura Dundovic and Miss World Australia Erin Holland.
- Kokoda Spirit has been privileged to be the chosen trekking company by the producers of ‘Kokoda’ the movie and has appeared on Channel Seven’s Sunday Night Program and Channel Seven’s Today Tonight program.
- Journalist and television presenter, Simon Bouda, Channel 9, chose Kokoda Spirit to assist with live coverage of 2017, 75th Anniversary ANZAC Day ceremony at Isurava Memorial on the Kokoda Trail.
- Some of Wayne Wetherall’s Current Trek Stats:
- More than 90 crossings of the Kokoda Track, including the first Kokoda Trail Coast to Coast crossing from Buna on the North Coast to Port Moresby, a triple Kokoda Track crossing, a fast two-day, Kokoda Trail crossing, the race distance, 2 nights 3 days Kokoda Track Ultra Marathon on three occasions.
- Everest base camp – 6 treks
- My Kilimanjaro – 6 summits
- Mt Kinabulu – 13 summits
- Mt Fuji (Japan) – one summit
- 12 treks across the infamous Sandakan Death March in Borneo including the Borneo Coast to Coast Challenge.
- Completed a 1600km bike ride from Brisbane to Townsville in 8 days averaging over 200km per day.
Kokoda Spirit’s sister company www.wildspiritadventures.com specialises in treks across the Sandakan Death March in Sabah Borneo, Everest Base Camp in Nepal, Mt Kilimanjaro, the Larapinta Trail, Overland Track and New Zealand.
We also run adventures on Queensland’s beautiful Sunshine Coast www.sunshinecoastadventures.com.au
We would like to sincerely thank those who have trekked Kokoda Track with us, walked along side us and helped us to help others succeed. To watch others achieve what is sometimes an extraordinary lifetime dream or what once would have been an impossible task is absolutely mind blowing. We are continually inspired by the people and the stories we are surrounded by.
One thing is for sure … likeminded people come together in challenging circumstances, and at times we are privileged enough to witness lives changing. Trekking is an empowering lifestyle, how lucky are we!